The mission of the SPACE program is to provide numerous and varied opportunities for personal enrichment through learning. SPACE modules are designed to be academically serious but fun, focused purely on the love of learning and the joy of studying the material. SPACE provides fully online access to a serious but low-impact arena for learning, whether you are interested in building a systematic course of study or just pursuing eclectic interests.
Signum University believes in connecting learners with teachers, and with each other! SPACE modules, like all Signum classes, are based on real-time, online small-group discussion sessions. Our modules each last for one month and typically meet twice a week for an hour-long interaction under the direction of the module’s preceptor. Each module provides eight hours of class time.
If you have any questions about the SPACE program, please reach out to [email protected]
Embark today on your next learning adventure in SPACE!
Blackberry is our enrollment and tracking system for SPACE. All token purchases, course registration, and candidate voting now occurs through Blackberry, so please remember to sign up.
In Blackberry, you can:
- Purchase Tokens
- Check how many tokens you have
- Enroll in Confirmed Modules using your Tokens
- Vote for Candidate modules
- Add courses from the Module Directory to your Wishlist to let us know which courses you’re hoping to take in the future
- View the modules for July, August, and September
- See your past enrollment history
- Indicate your availability to help with our scheduling
SPACE Tokens are each redeemable for participation in one SPACE module. Simply open the Blackberry registration system to purchase. SPACE Tokens never expire; you can use them whenever you like, and you can even give them away to friends!
If you would like to make a gift of one or more SPACE Tokens, first make your token purchase through Blackberry and then complete our Gift Form to let us know to whom you would like to gift the tokens.
- Enroll in Confirmed Modules: definitely running next month, and you can choose a Confirmed module right up until classes start.
- or Vote for a Candidate: offered for the month after that, will run if at least four students support it. The decision will be shared on about the 7th of the month before it runs.
- or Hang on to your Tokens, check out the Looking Ahead list and the Directory. The Communications Center will keep you updated!
Confirmed Modules for September 2022
Note: All listed times are in Eastern Daylight Saving Time.
CREATIVE WRITING SECTOR (2 modules):
- Creative Writing Workshop with Sparrow F. Alden, Meeting Mondays and Thursdays @8:00 PM (Eastern Time), beginning Sept 1
- The Compleat Game Master: Introduction to Game Mastery with Richard Rohlin, Meeting Tuesdays & Thursdays @5:00 PM (Eastern Time), beginning Sept 1
FANTASY STUDIES SECTOR (5 modules):
- Here Be Dragons with Sørina Higgins, Meeting Mondays and Wednesdays 2:00 PM (Eastern Time), Beginning September 5
- Pity in The Lord of the Rings with Tom Hillman, Meeting Mondays and Thursdays at 2:00 PM Eastern, beginning September 1 and resting on Labor Day, September 5th.
- The Fantastic in East Asia with Robert Steed, Meeting 6:30 PM to 7:30 PM on Mondays and Thursdays beginning September 5
- ‘The Rings of Power’ Discussion Group with Preceptors Sara Brown and James Tauber, Meeting Tuesdays in a two-hour block from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM (Eastern Time), beginning Sept 6 (Note: The new series will launch on Sept 2, 2022, on Amazon Prime)
- Tolkien’s Unfinished Tales with Sara Brown, Meeting 11:30 AM to 12:30 PM on Mondays and Tuesdays, beginning September 5
- The Second Age of Middle-earth with James Tauber, and Elise Trudel Cedeño, Meeting Mondays & Thursdays @9:00 PM (Eastern Time), beginning Sept 5
LANGUAGE SECTOR (6 modules):
- Advanced Language Portal (2)
- Advanced Old English: Cynewulf’s Christ II with Larry Swain, Meeting Mondays & Thursdays @7:00 PM (Eastern Time), starting Sept 1
- Ancient Greek Morphology with James Tauber, Meeting Mondays and Thursdays @7:00 PM (Eastern Time), beginning Sept 1
- Beginning Language Portal (4)
- Beginning cohorts (1)
- Scottish Gaelic Song with Sinemairi Macdougall, Meeting Tuesdays & Thursdays @6:00 PM (Eastern Time), beginning Sept 1
- Continuing cohorts (3):
- Beginning Japanese 3 with Robert Steed, Meeting Mondays & Wednesdays @9:00 PM (Eastern Time), beginning Aug 29
- Latin in a Year 8 with Faith Acker, Meeting Mondays & Wednesdays @10:00 AM (Eastern Time), beginning September 5
- Old Norse 2 with Carl Edlund Anderson, Meeting Mondays & Thursdays at 8:00 PM (Eastern Time), beginning September 1
GENERAL HUMANITIES SECTOR (1 modules):
- Inventing King Arthur: Geoffrey of Monmouth’s History of the Kings of Britain with Liam Daley, Meeting Wednesdays in a two-hour block from 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM (Eastern Time), beginning Sept 7
Weekly Schedule at a glance for those confirmed modules:
- If you chose a Confirmed module, the Communication Center will affirm your registration and put you in touch with your preceptor
- If you chose a Candidate module, you will hear by about the seventh of the month before it runs whether your chosen module received enough registrations and has become Confirmed. If it did not, you can choose one that did become Confirmed or hang on to your Token.
While you’re waiting for Step 4, we offer enhanced daydreaming as you imagine what you’ll explore next in SPACE!