The mission of the SPACE program is to provide numerous and varied opportunities for personal enrichment through learning. SPACE modules are designed to be academically serious but fun, focused purely on the love of learning and the joy of studying the material. SPACE provides fully online access to a serious but low-impact arena for learning, whether you are interested in building a systematic course of study or just pursuing eclectic interests.
Signum University believes in connecting learners with teachers, and with each other! SPACE modules, like all Signum classes, are based on real-time, online small-group discussion sessions. Our modules each last for one month and typically meet twice a week for an hour-long interaction under the direction of the module’s preceptor. Each module provides eight hours of class time.
If you have any questions about the SPACE program, please reach out to [email protected]
Learn more here or consult our Frequently Asked Questions document.
Embark today on your next learning adventure in SPACE!
Blackberry is our enrollment and tracking system for SPACE. All token purchases, course registration, and candidate voting now occurs through Blackberry, so please remember to sign up.
In Blackberry, you can:
- Purchase Tokens: one token equals one module!
- Check how many tokens you have
- Enroll in Confirmed Modules using your Tokens: one token equals one module!
- Vote for Candidate modules (Vote for up to six modules with one token. If your first choice receives enough votes, your token will be spent on it. If it does not receive enough votes, your token will go to your second choice, et cetera)
- Add courses from the Module Directory to your Wishlist to let us know which courses you’re hoping to take in the future
- View the modules for December (current), January (confirmed to run), February (to vote for) — and even spotlights and early candidates for March (to look forward to).
- See your past enrollment history
- Indicate your availability to help with our scheduling (it’s great to update your availability monthly to point at the Candidate month or the one following)
SPACE Tokens are each redeemable for participation in one SPACE module. Simply open the Blackberry registration system to purchase. SPACE Tokens never expire; you can use them whenever you like, and you can even give them away to friends!
If you would like to make a gift of one or more SPACE Tokens, first make your token purchase through Blackberry and then complete our Gift Form to let us know to whom you would like to gift the tokens.
- Enroll in Confirmed Modules: definitely running next month at the price of one Token, and you can choose a Confirmed module right up until classes start.
- or Vote for a Candidate: offered for the month after that, will run if at least four students support it. The decision will be shared in the first week of the month before it was a candidate to run. You can also vote for up to five back-up modules per token: it’s instant run-off voting!
- or Hang on to your Tokens and check out the Directory. The Communications Center will keep you updated!
Confirmed Modules for January 2024
CREATIVE WRITING SECTOR:
- Creative Writing: Plot & Structure (Novel in a Year) with Cate Conners, Christopher Bartlett, and Sparrow F. Alden
FANTASY STUDIES SECTOR:
- Book Club: J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Two Towers (Part Two) with Elise Trudel Cedeño
- Book Club: Children of Dune (Part 2 of 2) with Julian Barr
- Discovering the Discworld: Quis Custodiet Custard? with Sara Brown
- His Dark Materials in Context: The Amber Spyglass with Faith Acker and Gabriel Schenk
- Tolkien’s Unfinished Tales with Sara Brown
- Cohorts for Beginning Language Learning:
- Cohorts for Advanced Language Learning:
- Advanced Old English Series: Readings in Prose with Larry Swain
- Advanced Old Norse Readings Series with Carl Anderson
- Intermediate Latin Translation: The Vulgate Psalms with Faith Acker
GENERAL HUMANITIES SECTOR:
- Exploring Romance of the Three Kingdoms with Robert Steed
- History of the Book Arts with Larry Swain
- The Haunting of Hill House with Amy Sturgis
Weekly Schedule at a glance for those confirmed December modules (all times are Eastern Standard Time)
- If you chose a Confirmed module, the Communication Center will affirm your registration and put you in touch with your preceptor
- If you chose a Candidate module, you will hear by about the seventh of the month before it runs whether your chosen module received enough registrations and has become Confirmed. If it did not, you can choose one that did become Confirmed or hang on to your Token.
While you’re waiting for Step 4, we offer enhanced daydreaming as you imagine what you’ll explore next in SPACE!