See the Friday schedule for Mythmoot to plan your participation
Official Welcome: Corey Olsen
8:30 – 9:00 am in Rivendell
Keynote Session: Verlyn Flieger
9:00 – 10:00 am in Rivendell
Dr. Flieger will speak on “Defying and Defining Darkness?”
10:00 – 10:30am
10:30 am – 12:00 pm
10:30 – 12:00am
- The Free Will of Video Games – Dominic J. Nardi
- Middle-earth in Video Games Over the Years: The Light, the Dark, and the Grey – Jean “Druidsfire” Prior
- I’m Game: Using Card Games as a Medium for Storytelling – Stephen Cover
- Non Serviam: Evil and Its Manifestations in Literature from the Bible to Milton to Modern Fantasy Literature – Kevin Hensler
- Against the Fall of Night: Defining, Fighting, and Embracing the Darkness – Arthur S. Harrow
- Descending Darkness, Heroic Virtue, and Reasons for Hope in the Light of Literature – Jason Troutman
- Workshop: The Silmarillion Film Project: Casting and Rehearsal – Marie Prosser and Rhiannon Cire
12:00 – 1:00 pm
Signum Update – Corey Olsen
2:00 – 2:30 pm in Rivendell
Dr. Olsen will update us on all the things going on at Signum University and the Mythgard Institute.
3:30 – 4:00 pm
“The Bargain” – A Reader’s Theater
4:00 – 6:00 pm in Rivendell
The Mythmoot Players present a reading of “The Bargain,” a play by Verlyn Flieger, from her new book Arthurian Voices. “The Bargain” is based on the story of “Sir Gawain and the Green Knight” and will feature the talents of Sparrow Alden, Liam Daley, Kate Neville, Corey Olsen, Richard Rohlin, and Sørina Higgins.
Note: Attendees of Mythmoot VII: Defying and Defining Darkness can get a discount on Dr. Flieger’s book Arthurian Voices, when purchased directly from the publisher, The Gabbro Head Press. See the book’s product page at the publisher’s website for details.
Dinner and Q&A with Dr. Flieger
6:00 – 7:00 pm
Have something you’ve always wanted to ask Dr. Flieger? Bring your questions (and your dinner)!
Poetry Workshop – Corey Olsen
7:00 – 8:00 pm in Coruscant
Join Dr. Corey Olsen for a poetry-reading workshop. After a little practice in hearing the shape and structure of poetic lines, attendees will get a chance to dig in and try to figure out how some of Tolkien’s most mysterious poems from The Lord of the Rings work, mapping out these poems together, using Dr. Olsen’s experimental sound-mapping system. Come help Dr. Olsen understand these poems better! The session will be interactive, with much discussion and reading aloud, led by Dr. Olsen.
Coffeehouse: Works in Progress – Sørina Higgins
8:00 – 9:00 pm
Works in Progress is new to Mythmoot. Learn what your colleagues are up to academically and professionally. New research? New job? New area of studies? Come and give us a short description (3-4 minutes) of what you are working on right now. Everyone is welcome to attend, but if you would like to sign up to share, please send us an email at [email protected]. Hosted by Sørina Higgins.