Help support the future of education.
Growing into the Future
Signum University sprouted from a desire to take fantasy and science fiction literature seriously.
Building from the success of his Tolkien Professor podcast, Signum’s Founder and President Dr. Corey Olsen wanted to foster a serious academic discussion on imaginative literature among scholars and fans alike. Over the last six years, many volunteers and donors have contributed toward the success of that vision.
As a result, Signum University now has three main branches
- Signum Graduate School: A pioneer in online education, Signum offers a Master of Arts in Language & Literature that allows students to focus their degree work in one of four areas: Tolkien Studies, Imaginative Literature, Germanic Philology or Classical, Medieval & Renaissance Literature.
- Mythgard Institute: A center for research and education in speculative fiction, Mythgard provides educational opportunities to the public through programs such as Mythgard Academy, the Silmarillion Film Project, and Lord of the Rings Online activities.
- Signum for Kids: Launched in Summer 2017 with the popular Hobbit Immersion Camp, Signum’s kids programming is a way that we are bringing fun and educational study of imaginative literature to children.
While these programs have already seen great success, Signum University wants to do even more. Started from scratch as a 21st century university, Signum is ready continue building these programs that use the digital connections of our world in a fulfilling and edifying way for all want to learn what they love.
Learn more about how we are growing during our annual campaign events and throughout the year.
Campaign Event Schedule
This year, we are highlighting the excellent programs and activities that the various branches of Signum conduct on a regular basis.
Among our standard programming are the following weekly events:
- Tuesdays at 9:30 p.m. – Exploring The Lord of the Rings
- Wednesdays at 9:30 p.m. – Mythgard Academy (Treason of Isengard)
- Every other Friday at 10 a.m. – Silmarillion Film Project
- Fridays at 12:30 p.m. – Gryfflet’s Adventures in Middle-earth (on LOTROstream at Twitch.tv)
In addition, we will have a few special events that have become staples of our annual campaign, including a closing webathon. See the list of events happening during our campaign period. Links to more information will be provided as more details become available.
- Sept. 22 – Hobbit Day Reading with the Tolkien Professor (9:30 p.m.)
- Sept. 27 – Thesis Theater with Ashley Thomas and Eric Lynch
- Sept. 30 – LOTRO Marathon featuring Wigend at Helm’s Deep (time TBD)
- Oct. 7 – Upper Midwest Regional Midmoot (9 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
- Oct. 12 – State of the University Address (9:30 p.m.)
- Oct. 14 – Signum University Webathon Spectacular (time TBD)
For those who can’t make it live, all events will be recorded and available for free viewing on the Signum University YouTube Channel.
Note: All times are Eastern Daylight Time.
Donor Appreciation Program
Signum University’s students, staff, and faculty are grateful to our donors, and we want to show our appreciation. As a result, individuals who donate at certain levels will receive certain benefits as outlined in the table below.
Up to $99
$100 and up
Membership on the Council of the Wise
$150 and up
Signum Annual Memorabilia
$250 and up
Access to one course from the Signum Archive
$500 and up
Acknowledgement and access to a second course from the Signum Archive
$1,000 and up
Advisory Council membership and access to a third course from the Signum Archive
$2,500 and up
VIP admission to Mythmoot V
$5,000 and up
Mythgard seminar of your choice
$10,000 and up
Regional moot (meetup) in your hometown (or town of choice)
If you enjoy the activities offered by Signum University and the Mythgard Institute, please donate today. Donating not only gives you the special access to programs and courses noted, but it lets you help others enjoy our free educational materials as well.