Signum University, the Mythgard Institute, and the Tolkien Society of Kansas City are proud to announce MiddleMoot 2018, a symposium addressing the role of Nature, Man, and Industrialization in the works of J.R.R. Tolkien on Saturday, October 6, 2018, at Park University in Parkville, Missouri. A mixture of paper presentations, panels, and discussions will be offered along with a keynote address by guest of honor Dr. Corey Olsen, “The Tolkien Professor.”
For more information on MiddleMoot 2018, please contact Tolkien Society KC on Facebook
Call for Papers
‘Every tree has its enemy, few have an advocate.’
— J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter 241
In the works of J.R.R. Tolkien, the corruption or usurpation of Nature is a frequent topic. MiddleMoot 2018 is issuing a call for academic papers, panels, and presentations over questions and topics centered around ideas such as:
- How is the corruption of Nature a focus in Tolkien’s works?
- What role does Middle-earth itself play in his works?
- How does Nature answer the problem of industrialization?
- How does the nature of each race of beings affect Middle-earth and Nature?
Please submit an abstract of roughly 200 words to [email protected] on your paper, panel, or presentation by no later than September 1, 2018.
Registration fee includes light breakfast and boxed lunch.
In honor of MiddleMoot’s theme (as well as Tolkien’s passion) of Nature, we encourage attendees to reduce, reuse, and recycle as we attempt to make this a waste-free event.
More information on the schedule will follow once the Call for Papers has closed. However, please keep in mind that events are due to begin at 9am, and should conclude by 4:30pm. Dr. Olsen will give the keynote address just after lunch, around 1pm.
Area Information and Accommodations
Park Distance Learning
8700 NW River Park Drive
Parkville, MO 64152
Park University is located in Parkville, Missouri, inside the Greater Kansas City area on the Missouri side. Nestled just next to English Landing Park on the Missouri River, the university campus enjoys a gorgeous view from above, but also sits on an expansive cave system below.
- MiddleMoot 2018 will be located in the newly renovated underground space known as Park Distance Learning, in the MA and MB conference rooms.
- Parking will be free on-site both on the campus above ground, as well as in the underground space.
- Signs and volunteers will be out to direct you to the space (please consult the campus maps for more information).
- For accommodations, there are a number of hotels in Kansas City, Missouri, that are within an easy 10-15 minute drive of Parkville, as well as a few hotels in Parkville itself.
- Downtown Parkville has a few restaurants and is within a 5-minute walk of the campus.
For more information on restaurants, hotels, or the Greater Kansas City area, please contact [email protected] for more information.