July 10, 2017 - 12:00 am EDT
July 21, 2017 - 12:00 am EDT
This summer, Signum University is sponsoring a FREE two-week program on J. R. R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit, in partnership with local libraries across the country. This program is designed to get middle-schoolers involved in a guided, interactive summer reading program based on Tolkien’s classic fantasy story.
Signum University will provide a reading schedule, an outline and instructions for activities and daily interactive, online live presentations led by a veteran teacher who has been teaching The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings as a literature elective at the middle-school level for ten years in Fairbanks, Alaska.
Campers (ages 10-13) will read the assigned chapters, participate in the daily online classes, and then meet at their local library for discussion and to work on individual or group projects.
What Your Library Needs to Participate
All your library needs to do is contact Signum to sign up and then provide the following:
- A supervised space where the Hobbit Campers can discuss the story and create their projects, 3-5 times per week for the two weeks of the program.
- Printed copies (from originals provided by Signum) of the three activities for Hobbit Campers to complete.
- Basic writing and drawing implements, paper, scissors, tape or glue, and recycled or new tag board.
- Some Campers may need access to a computer with an internet connection to participate in the daily online classes.
Adapting the Program
Signum University is happy to provide a complete program that can be delivered as-is – however, we also are excited to see how libraries can adapt it to the needs of their local community!
Some ways you might be able to adapt the program to your library’s needs include:
- Hosting a live, group viewing of the daily online interactive session with the Signum instructor. All you’d need is a computer, projector, and an internet connection.
- Supplementing the project work-time with some additional guided discussion of the daily Hobbit reading! Want a more interactive and engaging reading experience?
- Scheduling extra sessions with Hobbit Campers and reading the chapters aloud together (about two chapters a day for the 10 days of the program)!
Is this program really free?
Yes! Signum University will provide live, online presentations live throughout the program. There will be no charge to the library or the students, and Signum University will provide the teaching presentations and downloadable materials for student projects.
About Signum University
Signum University is a non-profit online university with a dedication to making education more accessible for everyone and a special interest in promoting the study of imaginative literature.
Interested in having your library partner with us for this fun new program? Download the flyer for details, and send us an email at the address above.Download Flyer