Signum Academy Conversation Club helps young people learn and practice language conversation skills in a variety of foreign languages. Group sessions use immersive language-learning techniques to help students achieve understanding and fluency quickly.
Why Conversation Club?
We believe that practicing conversation is the most enjoyable, most authentic, and most rewarding way for learners of all ages and levels to learn a new language. Our purpose in the Conversation Club is:
- To connect language learners with others in their age range, providing them with practical phrases they can use in real-life situations.
- To help learners gain confidence in their ability to use what they know to understand and communicate with others—and show them how to use a variety of free resources to find out what they want to learn.
- To bring out the relationships between language and culture, including music, art, movies, literature, and history
Want to learn more about Conversation Club?
Talk with your parents and then have them click the button below to fill out the form.
Signum Academy Conversation Club is created to help young people learn new languages and practice language skills. All Conversation Club sessions are fully remote, providing a safe and flexible learning environment.
Signum Academy Conversation Club is approved to participate in the New Hampshire Department of Education’s Learn Everywhere program. This means that New Hampshire high school students can earn certificates in Conversation Club that can be submitted for language credits toward graduation.
This page provides information about class equivalencies and assessments as they relate to Conversation Club. For general information and FAQs about Signum Academy’s participation Learn Everywhere, visit our Learn Everywhere page.
Expected Outcomes for Conversation Club Students
Students who wish to receive a certificate toward Learn Everywhere credit will be assessed regularly based on their participation during weekly sessions. Every month, preceptors will prepare a progress report showing their advancement toward achieving four competencies in the following areas:
- Aural Comprehension in understanding and interpreting foreign language speech
- Conversational Speech fluidity and fluency
- Reading Comprehension in foreign-language texts
- Speaking and Listening in the foreign language to participate in collaborative discussion
Student mastery of these competencies will be rated on a scale of 1-4 at both Beginning and Advanced levels. Students who achieve a 3 are understood to have attained mastery.
High School Credit Equivalents for Conversation Club Topics
Each Conversation Club group will focus one or more topics of interest to students who join the group. Students who wish to receive credit for a particular language can join the equivalent Conversation Club group studying that language.
The table below provides an overview of how Conversation Club topics equate to New Hampshire high school language classes. Note that [Language] can be replaced with the name of any language for which we offer a Conversation Club.
|Conversation Club Topic||Level||High School Class Equivalent (1/2 Credit)|
|[Language] Immersion||Beginning I||[Language] Immersion 1, Semester 1|
|[Language] Immersion||Advanced I||[Language] Immersion 1, Semester 2|
|[Language] Immersion||Beginning II||[Language] Immersion 2, Semester 1|
|[Language] Immersion||Advanced II||[Language] Immersion 2, Semester 2|