Signum Academy Translation Club
Signum Academy Translation Club helps kids and teens develop and practice language translation skills. Students will learn how to translate foreign, extinct, and constructed language texts in weekly group sessions with a preceptor who is an expert in that language.
Why Translation Club?
We believe that no language is ever truly “dead” as long as there are people willing to study it and immerse themselves in its literature. Our purpose in the Signum Academy Translation Club is:
- To introduce students to ancient languages, like Old Norse and Old English, and to encourage them to appreciate the beauty and value of these languages.
- To provide students with a basic knowledge of the grammatical structures of such languages, the cultures that spoke them, the literature composed in them, and the manuscripts that preserve them.
- To give students the opportunity to develop their linguistic and translation skills by working with actual texts in these languages.
Want to learn more about Translation Club?
Talk with your parents and then have them click the button below to fill out the form.
Translation Club Details for Parents
Signum Academy Translation Club is created to help young people learn new languages and practice language skills. All Translation Club sessions are fully remote, providing a safe and flexible learning environment.
How Translation Club Works
- Each club group will have no more than 7 members.
- The leader will help members learn how to translate texts in a foreign, extinct or constructed language.
- Club members will learn how to read scripts and symbols from the club translation language, including grammar, syntax, vocabulary, and other language rules.
- Short translation exercises will be provided between sessions for discussion at the next session.
- Groups will meet for two 1-hour sessions each week using Signum’s digital campus software (primarily GoToWebinar).
Note: A group consists of students from one of three grade ranges: 3rd – 5th grade, 6th – 8th grade, and 9th – 12th grade.
Translation Club costs $90/month (about $10/hour). Discounts available for multiple subscriptions. Learn more about Signum Academy club pricing here.
What Kids and Teens Will Learn in Translation Club
- Reading skills in a foreign or extinct language
- Translation skills in a foreign or extinct language
- Language-learning skills for use with learning other languages
- Cooperative discussion skills
Translation Club Languages
Currently, Translation Club groups are available for the following languages:
- Old English (Anglo-Saxon)
- Old Norse
Additional languages may be added over time. If you or your child are interested in learning a language not listed above, please let us know.
Translation Club Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can my child change to a different language after signing up?
We encourage members to pursue a single language in order to attain familiarity with translating the language. However, members may switch to a different language with parental permission if they really wish to. Depending on the timing and seat availability, such a switch may need to wait until a new group for that language is ready to start.
Can my child participate in both Conversation Club and Translation Club?
Absolutely! See our pricing information page for information about joining multiple clubs.